- OUR PRACTICE
- DENTAL TREATMENTS
- NEW PATIENTS
Dental crowns are a popular dental treatment that can completely restore the function and beauty of a damaged tooth. In the past, getting a dental crown was a time-consuming, expensive, and tedious process. With traditional crowns, patients would have to take multiple trips to the dentist to be fitted for the new crown while a temporary crown is placed, then their dental impressions were sent off to be created in a dental lab somewhere. Fortunately, using advanced CEREC technology, we can now create and place
How are Same Day Crowns Created?
Same day crowns are created using CEREC technology. The CEREC machine allows us to create high-quality ceramic crowns in our office during your initial appointment. As we mentioned earlier, traditional crowns required multiple visits and for a temporary crown to be placed, while your permanent crown is created in the laboratory. Temporary crowns can be highly inconvenient, as they often don’t look natural, and they can even cause pain and discomfort. They also often require patients to compromise their diet to avoid food that could cause the temporary crown to fall off or become loose.
CEREC technology uses an infrared camera to allow our advanced dental software to custom-create a permanent crown that is perfectly customized for your smile from a block of ceramic. With CEREC technology, we are able to carve a crown in about 20 minutes. The tooth also uses color-matching technology, which is then polished to make it look exactly like your natural tooth. After the crown is finished, we inspect it for a comfortable fit, then place it with cement. Your same day crown experience will take a total of 1-2 hours to complete.
Like traditional crowns, CEREC crowns are created to look like a real tooth. Dental
● Teeth that are weakened
● Teeth that are already broken or worn down. Dental crowns restore the function of broken teeth.
● Teeth that require large cavity fillings. Dental crowns support teeth that are weakened from large cavity fillings and root canals.
● Missing teeth. Dental crowns are used along with dental bridges to support the structure of the restoration. CEREC crowns are also sometimes used to cover dental implants.
● Discolored, chipped, or misaligned teeth. Dental crowns are a perfect cosmetic solution to improve the appearance of abnormal teeth.
Advantages of Same Day Crowns
● No dental putty is used. With traditional crowns, we often take impressions of your mouth using a type of dental putty. Patients find dental putty off-putting, as it has a bad taste and can leave a gross feeling in the mouth. By using digital mapping of your mouth, we don’t have to take messy putty impressions.
● Same day crowns use
● Better fitting than traditional crowns. Digital technology allows us to create a crown that precisely fits over your teeth. They also take your bite into consideration, creating grooves and contours in the crown, so your teeth close properly over your new tooth structure.
● Same day crowns look better. Traditional crowns often create an unnatural looking black line along your gum line that same day crowns do not. CEREC crowns come in different shades, perfectly matching the color of your natural tooth.
● Fewer injections and less discomfort. Due to the fact that your same day crown will be placed in one day, you will only need one injection of local anesthetic to prepare the damaged tooth and place the final crown. With traditional crowns,
Same day crowns provide an effective, beautiful restoration that will last for years. Want to learn more about same day crowns or schedule a consultation? Call Dr. Sam’s Premier Dentistry today at 903-708-6400.